Pocumtuck Ridge Trail
The Pocumtuck Ridge Trail is a hiking trail that extends from South Sugarloaf mountain in Deerfield, MA northward to Rocky Mountain in Greenfield, MA. Approximately 15 miles long, it is accessible from many trailheads and features dramatic views from its traprock cliffs. Much of the trail is on conservation land. Blue blazes mark the trail, with the addition of small blue square metal markers at certain locations.
History, Reference, Information Elsewhere
- Pocumtuck Range (Wikipedia)
- ...the northern-most subrange of the Metacomet Ridge mountain range of southern New England...
- Pocomtuc Indians (Wikipedia)
- Among the members of the Pocumtuck tribe was Chief Wawanotewat, better known as "Greylock"...
- The giant beaver legend
- ...the Pocumtuck range is actually the petrified remains of a giant beaver...
- Deerfield Academy lost ski area
- New England Lost Ski Areas Project
- Appalachian Mountain Club, Berkshire Chapter
- Sponsor of the trail
- Greenfield Recreation (Highland Park, Temple Woods, Rocky Mountain Park)
- PRT is in blue. Courtesy of the Town of Greenfield.
- The New England Trail (NET)
- Big brother to the PRT
Site © 2011–2020 by Paul Bissex. This is an open source project.